Welcome to the website for St. Leo Benedictine Abbey. We are located in Central Florida, a small Community of monks that follows the Rule of Saint Benedict. It is our hope that this website will provide the essential information that will move your curiosity about us and our life, and rouse you to further investigate this monastic way of life. In the same way that our visitors discover when they come and see us, you will find here that we are a simple community of monks that try to follow Christ, and make of our lives a holy gift for God. While a website is a somewhat impersonal way to convey information, I hope that as you read and view our web page you will be better informed and that the Holy Spirit will lead you to follow your desire to come and see us. Please do enjoy your visit to our website and don’t hesitate to call or e mail us with comments or suggestions. Thank You for your visit, and may God Bless your spiritual journey.
Father Abbot Isaac Camacho, O.S.B.
ABBEY COVID-19 MESSAGE
JUNE 6 2020
We are pleased to inform you that after following the guidelines of the Diocese of St. Petersburg and from medical professionals, the public will be gradually welcomed back to our liturgical celebrations in the Abbey Church starting this week.
This morning, we completed our preparation for welcoming back guests in the Abbey Church and found success with the few that attended Mass with us. We ask that all our usual guests that wish to attend our liturgies please follow the guidelines below from the Diocese of St. Petersburg https://www.dosp.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Return-to-Mass.pdf, along with our Abbey guidelines:
– Please wear a mask when in the Abbey Church.
– That all enter through the front doors of the Abbey after washing their hands at the newly constructed sinks in front of the main entrance.
– Once inside, please find a seat by using the center aisle and choosing a pew that is not blocked off.
– Please respect social distancing by sitting at least six feet from other guests, families, of course, may sit together in the available pews.
– Guests will not be permitted to sit in the choir stalls with the monks until further notice.
– For the reception of Holy Communion, please remain at your pew as a minister will bring the Eucharist to you so there will be less movement among the faithful.
– The Consecrated Host will be received on the hand while the communicant stands, for those that do not wish to receive on the hand, please cross your arms on your chest so you may receive a blessing.
– Once the celebration has ended, all will exit to the right of their pew following the designated signs, starting with the back rows going forward.
– Worship aids will not be given out during this time. Those who wish to pray with us or follow the readings of the Mass are invited to download the IBreviary app on their phones.
Due to the high risk that many of our elderly monks face amidst this pandemic, we ask that all our guests take the above directions very seriously so as not only to protect themselves but also to protect the life of our community during this challenging time; no cooperation will not be tolerated within our monastic community.
We ask that our frequent guests return to our celebrations gradually, while those that belong to a parish attend Mass there so as not to overwhelm our limited capacity during this time.
For donations you may include us in your last will and testament or if you want to make a donation please do it as follows:
Order of Saint Benedict of Florida
33601 State Road 52
Post Office 2350
Saint Leo, FL 33574
If you prefer to Donate by using your credit card please call Brother James, Gift Shop manager, at 352-588-2606.
Attention, Guests and Friends of the Abbey!
When you make your next purchase from Amazon remember the Abbey and click on this link: https://smile.amazon.com/ch/59-0737897 Thank you for your support.
The AmazonSmile Foundation will donate 0.5% of the purchase price from your eligible AmazonSmile purchases. The purchase price is the amount paid for the item minus any rebates and excluding shipping & handling, gift-wrapping fees, taxes, or service charges.